Okay, so I absolutely LOVE cake! White cake, chocolate cake, peanut butter cake, caramel cake, carrot cake if it's cake I'm interested! BUT I do have a FAVORITE! RED VELVET of course! I want to share a very yummy red velvet cake recipe here with you! This recipe makes a red velvet cake from scratch southern style. Super moist/soft cake and very creamy homemade cream cheese frosting. Hope you love it as much as I do!
The BEST Red Velvet Cake EVER!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- 2 tsp unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 oz red food coloring
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and unsweetened cocoa into a large mixing bowl and sift/whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, crack open the eggs, and beat them.
- Pour the sugar, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract into the bowl with the eggs, and mix until everything is nice and creamy.
- Slowly combine the wet, ingredients with dry ingredient. Be sure to mix on a low speed!
- Once everything is manageable, switch from mixing the cake batter to folding it.
- Next, add it the vinegar, and red food coloring.
- Fold in until all of the cake batter is red, and there are no streaks.
- Spray two 9 inch cake pans with baking spray, OR grease and flour them.
- Pour an equal amount of cake batter into each cake pan.
- Shake and tap the pans to release any air bubbles, then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Bake each cake on 325 F, for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the cake pans, and place them on cooling racks.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, and cream cheese.
- Cream the two ingredients together, then slowly adding in the powdered sugar, but only 1 cup at a time.
- Add in the vanilla extract, and milk.
- Mix until the frosting is nice and creamy
- Once the cakes are completely cool, frost them.
If you find these articles interesting please consider becoming a Patreon supporter. That is how we keep our website and podcasts up and running plus you will get lots of bonus content including extra and extended podcasts, articles, digital comics, ebooks, and much more. Check out our Patreon Page to see what's up!