Granny's Southern Style Banana Pudding (from scratch)
By Tonya (@wiwcool)
Note: I DOUBLE the ingredients in this recipe to have a plenty of filling to cover all the cookies making them nice and super soft! Also I use more cookies & less bananas just because we like it that way :)
Also, I cannot stress enough, that when you are cooking the filling on the stove-top on medium heat DO NOT leave it!!! No matter what! It will stick & scorch & be no good :( so, by all means, no matter what kind of stove you have as soon as you mix the ingredients together in the boiling pan & turn on the medium heat STAY RIGHT THERE! Stirring with a whisk the entire time until it reaches the thickness you prefer. Don't leave it too long or it will become too thick & not "pour" over the bananas & cookies.
3/4 Cups sugar
1/3 Cup of flour
Pinch of salt
2 Cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 whole box of Nilla wafers cookies
& 1 box of mini Nilla wafers for garnish if desired
4-5 bananas sliced
Note: I prepare my cookies & bananas before I start cooking the filling. I use a long casserole dish that has a lid or a store bought disposable cake pan with a lid or you can use a cake pan. I just recommend using something that has an accompanying lid for storage..
1) Slice up however many bananas you want to use & arrange them in your pan then arrange the cookies on top of the bananas & set aside.
2) In a large sauce pan combine sugar, flour, & salt
3) Add in eggs & milk
4) Turn on medium heat & whisk away
*** It may take a while for this part. Again "patience " is key. I probably whisk for at least 20 min nonstop before the filling starts to thicken.
5) Once you notice the filling starting to thicken add in the vanilla flavoring & keep whisking till desired consistency. Remember too long = too thick = non-soft cookies. This is not what you want.
6) When desired thickness is achieved, slowly pour over cookies & bananas making sure to cover completely.
Note: Then for garnish I crumble some more cookies in top of the filing & top the edges with Nilla minis ...:)
You can serve this warm or chilled. It great both ways! My family loves this & I hope yours will as well, enjoy!
If you found this article interesting please consider becoming a Patreon supporter. That is how we keep our website and podcasts up and running plus you will get lots of bonus content including extra and extended podcasts, articles, digital comics, ebooks, and much more. Check out our Patreon Page to see what's up!